Plus, I live by myself. In Villa Rica. And it's almost fall break. AKA, there's not a lot for me to do right now.
Ok. One of my constant struggles in daily life is trying not to judge a book by its cover. I would not call myself a judgemental person by any stretch, at least not in a cruel way. However, some people just kind of ask for it.
For example:
- If you walk around on campus with a GT hat and a UGA shirt on, I'm going to think you know nothing about sports, or you do not care the proper amount for either team at least.
- If your pants are practically falling off your body, I'm going to think that you're a bit gross.
- If you spell words incorrectly, especially getting the there/they're/their or your/you're confused...I'm gonna be judging you a bit.
- If you decide to fix something on your umbrella before class, and that entails putting the handle in your mouth and biting something off of it...(no joke, happened today)...there are no words.
- If you try and criticize things I love by saying you know what you're talking about and you honestly don't. (i.e. I'm a huge Florida fan....No, I don't know their QB is, though...but UGA sucks!)
- If you don't think that Edward Cullen is a tad overbearing and psycho, I'm going to be concerned for your future relationship stability.
- If you say the word "supposably" instead of "supposedly"...I cringe.
- If I let you out in front of me in traffic and you don't wave, I'm going to call you a jerk in my head.
There are many more. That ended up just being kind of a list of pet peeves. My bad. But wait! There's a lesson in this! I promise!
So, on a quick other note, when it comes to trends and fads, I usually fall behind the times. For instance, I didn't like the song "Single Ladies" til it was on Glee, and it was on the charts like 5 months ago and I didn't care for it. I got into Vera Bradley about a year after everyone else did, along with Twilight, The Office, and So You Think You Can Dance. So, imagine my surprise when my dad got me this really cute giraffe print computer bag for grad school- and when I get to campus, the print is EVERYWHERE!! Half the girls at UWG are walking around with these bags! So, a part of me is kind of excited-YES for finally being on time for SOMETHING (Congrats, Tiff, you're just like the rest of them! Normalcy!) Hah.
This was not a major life moment like I am making it out to be. It was really just a split second amusing moment where I kinda went "heh" to myself and smirked, and then went about my day in the Library.
However, last week, I was walking to class and saw this group of sorority girls (I have nothing against sorority girls. I was apart of an all-girls organization for 5 years, I know how awesome they can be). But these were those obnoxious, overly stereotypical sorority girls. Kinda broke my heart for them, cuz I'm sure they're all nice girls-they just walked by me and squeaked and giggled and they all had the same bag as me. Oh, giraffe print. I love your apparent appeal.
I continue walking to class, scolding myself in my head for judging these girls as some brand of bimbo and sit down with my latte and comment to my friend that my new boots kind of hurt my feet. And she looked at me and said "Were you in a sorority at UGA?" And I coughed a bit and said "No, why?" And she looked me up and down and said "well, I mean, you've got the bag, the heeled boots, and you're sipping your latte before class...I just assumed."
Whewwwwwwwww I felt JUDGED. I shook my head and said vehemently that I did not have anything against sororities, but that they were just not really my scene.
And it totally taught me a lesson. Yes, there may be some misguided sports fans and people who can't spell, but they're probably really awesome people who deserve a second look and to be seen beyond some silly label. So, don't judge people. And don't sell out. They just might end up being your best friend. (Thank you, Joey Potter)
The more you know *shooting star*
No comments:
Post a Comment